NCWTS: John Wes Townley to return at Martinsville

Credit: SpeedwayMedia.com

After missing the season opening race at Daytona last month, John Wes Townley will return to the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series next weekend at Martinsville Speedway for RAB Racing.

Townley, who was suspended for the season opening race after being charged with at DUI when he crashed his automobile into a telephone pole in early February of this year, has been placed on probation by NASCAR until December 31, 2012.

“I want to send my deepest apologies to NASCAR, RAB Racing, my fans, sponsors, family, and friends,” said Townley in a press release issued by RAB Racing. “I made a terrible mistake, but I am now ready to move forward making better decisions. Martinsville will be the start of a new chapter in my life.”

RAB Racing replaced Townley with 2003 NCWTS champion, Travis Kvapil at Daytona where brought the team home a fourth place finish in their series debut.

“We have stood by our commitment to John Wes Townley, and supported him as he has worked through fulfilling what sanctions we’ve placed on him internally, as well as the process that NASCAR has instituted,” said owner, Robby Benton. “It was an unfortunate situation that occurred, and a mistake was made. We now look towards the future and building on a lesson learned. We will work closely with NASCAR and their programs as he returns to full-time competition in the Camping World Truck Series.”

The NCWTS returns next weekend, Saturday, March 31 for their second race of the 2012 season. Complete coverage of the event can be seen on SPEED.

Leave a Reply