NSCS: Daytona Power RankingsJuly 3, 2011 No Comments
It was a crazy race at Daytona International Speedway, with David Ragan earning his shot at redemption with a win. It took Ragan five months to finally get it right, but when he did, boy was it sweet!
Points leader Carl Edwards didn’t have such a great night. Between getting wrecked by his teammate and becoming sick to his stomach, it was one long race for “Cousin Carl”!
This week’s list:
1. KEVIN HARVICK — Kevin wasn’t able to get the victory this year as he did last year, but he was pretty happy with his P7 effort.
2. CARL EDWARDS — Long and miserable do not fully describe the night that Carl had, he surrendered the points lead for the first time since Martinsville.
3. KYLE BUSCH — With three top-five finishes in his last four races, Kyle is certainly gearing up for a title run!
4. MATT KENSETH — Honestly, not many teammates would do what Kenseth did Saturday night, he was also rewarded with a great finish himself.
5. KURT BUSCH — After getting into some trouble at the end of the race, Kurt finished P14 which I think he is pretty happy about.
6. JEFF GORDON — Jeff probably had the most memorable “save” of the night, went on to finish P6.
7. JIMMIE JOHNSON — There will no doubt be questions this week about Johnson’s late race decision to pit, while leaving Dale Earnhardt Jr. on the track to fend for himself.
8. DALE EARNHARDT JR. — No one was madder after Daytona than Earnhardt, losing your drafting partner is never good with this new style of racing, probably cost him a top-five finish.
9. DENNY HAMLIN — Hamlin came close to pushing Ryan Newman to victory Saturday, but after being stuck in the middle, there was no hope.
10. CLINT BOWYER — Similar to Edwards, Bowyer did not have the type of finish he wanted either!
11. RYAN NEWMAN — Do you think Newman is tired of leading the most laps at Daytona, only to be wrecked by another driver?
12. TONY STEWART — An P11 finish allowed Stewart to hold on to 12th in the points standings, but he’s now outside the Chase, something to definitely keep our eyes on!
13. DAVID RAGAN — Wow! After the devastation of defeat in the 500, Ragan had his shot at redemption and took advantage of it! Now in one of the two Chase wildcard spots.
14. JUAN PABLO MONTOYA — After a crazy race last week at Sonoma, JPM had a much more “normal” race this week.
15. GREG BIFFLE — It wasn’t on purpose, of course, but many can’t be happy with Biffle after he wrecked his teammate Carl Edwards.
16. AJ ALLMENDINGER — I think AJ will take this top-ten finish!
17. PAUL MENARD — A great finish for Menard, finished P8, right behind teammate Harvick.
18. KASEY KAHNE — For a while in the race I thought we could see a Red Bull Toyota in victory lane, not a bad finish for Kasey.
19. MARK MARTIN — Things went from bad to worse for Martin, who qualified on the pole, got wrecked and finished 33rd.
20. JOEY LOGANO — Do you still believe Joey is on his way out of JGR? Not only has he produced some great finishes in recent weeks, but he also won the Nationwide race Friday night.